This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Physical exercise in device

With years of physical exercise research (both observational and clinical trials), our team noted that older adults aged 75 years old and above are less likely to be able to do intense physical activity (PA)! They may or may not be aware of its importance but their physical ability is limited and mostly unable to undertake intense resistance and aerobic exercises. Recognizing these limitations of older adults’ physical abilities, we have developed a device that can produce an impact similar to intense PA and it can be used by anybody at any age! We are still in early stage, but the device is showing some promising results in terms of the change in blood biomarkers of exercise (e.g. lactate) and I thought I should share it!

Comments

• LisaCovingtonLisaCovington Posts: 49 XPRIZE
    @HRS thank you for posting! Is there data, preliminary findings or other research you're able to share here about what you're doing with EID and it's potential impact toward extending health span? We'd love to see it.
  • HRSHRS Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hi; our preliminary results are not in publishable shape (i.e. n=10; one group; no control group; one bio-marker ) and need to be treated with caution! The device is based on the concept of remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC), which is in use when there is Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI), formerly known as angioplasty. We noted that RIPC through EID can significantly increase lactate in the blood! Lactate level usually increases following extensive physical activity(PA). Therefore, we think that EID can simulate PA, without one being actually engaged in the activity. We have quite a good number of unanswered questions, however, our data is promising and shows we are in the right direction. Hopefully, a clinical trial can answer whether EID can result in benefits similar or close to naturalistic PA, and to what degree and where (e.g. muscle, blood, brain).