This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Demonstration of Reversal of Dementia Symptoms

Outcome

Dementia would be reversed in older adults, in a trial with clear success criteria.

Impact

Reversing dementia would have profound personal, societal and economic effects. Additionally, the ability to overcome a disease that is perceived almost exclusively as an aging-related one will stimulate an increase in public awareness of longevity studies.

Relevant Technologies and Techniques
  • Crowdsourcing (for funding and data collection)
  • Open source (for data sharing)

Comments

• NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    @vradenburg, @KenDychtwald, @rbrinton, @sully, @maxinemack, @Wei, this is one of the breakthroughs that was discussed at the Future of Longevity Lab. As members of our previous Alzheimer's Community, I thought I would ask you: do you agree we need this as a breakthrough in the context of longevity?
  • NatashaNatasha Posts: 12 ✭✭
    This may be the core issue all of humanity face. The loss of memory deserves high-level discussion and incubating solutions.
  • markjayctmarkjayct Posts: 7 ✭✭
    From the standpoint of visibility...this one will gain the most global attention. And if dementia can be reversed, then it makes clear the notion that probably any damage of aging can be reversed.
  • OakshadeOakshade Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I would agree on all the above comments.
  • nlcnlc Posts: 10 ✭✭
    No question dementia needs attention, and its receiving much from the drug companies but so far to no avail (yes, I am aware of the drugs currently on the market). I'm curious as to why the emphasis here is on reversal after dementia has developed and not on prevention.
  • markjayctmarkjayct Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    @nlc -- it should be on both.
  • FosselFossel Posts: 2
    We can both prevent and cure dementia, but ONLY if we truly understand the underlying aging process. To reverse or prevent the age-related dementias requires that we reverse or prevent aging at the cellular and genetic levels. This is precisely why Eli Lilly, Roche, Biogen-Eisai and others fail: they aim at the wrong targets. It's not a mistake we intend to make.