This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Life becomes less precious

The longer we live, the less precious life might feel.

If we all live to be 100+, what's the pressure to start a family, travel, indulge our hobbies? We might feel we have all the time in the world and postpone the things that really matter.

Comments

• RoeyRoey Posts: 160 XPRIZE
    I don't think it makes life less precious. It just means you have more time to do all those things. Is that really such a bad thing?
  • LisaCovingtonLisaCovington Posts: 49 XPRIZE
    For some that struggle to get ahead in their career/ workplace, pay their bills, feed their families and don't have easy access to resources or education, the thought of a longer life might represent more hardship.
  • SamBlakeSamBlake Posts: 33 XPRIZE
    I wonder if there is any data out there that shows how emotional well-being (or some other sort of proxy for "sense of life's preciousness") correlates with life expectancy.
  • NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    That reminds me of a TED talk Robert Waldinger gave. They did a 75-year study at Harvard, which found that the only thing that consistently correlates with people's self-reported sense of happiness is their connections with other people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkKuTCFvzI
    So... one remedy to keep people happy would be to provide them all with smartphones and Whatsapp?
    God, no! Real connections!
  • JessicaYoonJessicaYoon Posts: 54 XPRIZE
    If we could all live to 100+, hopefully that also means our years of adolescence increase, and also fertility gets extended as well.
    @NickOttens - it's just a different medium for communication, and has several advantages over the physical medium we currently use. Don't be so present-centric :)
    Isn't use of all these devices and social media actually making us feel less connected?
  • SamBlakeSamBlake Posts: 33 XPRIZE
    @JessicaYoon Why do you say hopefully adolescence and fertility also get extended?
    @SamBlake I guess I was just thinking of some examples, such as it would be nice to "be a kid" a bit longer before having to have the responsibilities of adulthood (although I wonder already what kind of implications that may have on the compulsory education system), or a longer window of time to decide whether you want to have children and if/when you are ready, the capability to have them despite your numerical age (50-60+)? Obviously, this part is more pertinent to women reproductive health.

Maybe if we had more time on this earth in better health to achieve these kinds of life milestones (ex: get an education, find a partner and start a family, get ahead in your career), we wouldn't be so stressed to try accomplishing them all in the 80-year lifespan we are currently given. Expanded life could mean more freedom in making important life choices, and more time to discover what makes you truly happy and fulfilled!
    @JessicaYoon ,
    Interesting thoughts! I'm certain that if we find the means to significantly slow down aging or even reverse it, then maintaining fertility would be one of the requirements the public will set for the treatment. I do wonder if that's even a good thing, considering that we don't want to reach a state of overpopulation.
    So, the biological window in which you can have babies is extended , just don't?
    @LisaCovington -
    Well, what we see anyway is that in developing regions, where people can suddenly bring to the world plenty of babies without fearing for their lives, the rate of childbirth sharply declines. One of the main reasons for bringing so many children to the world used to be that people were afraid their kids would die and leave them childless - and therefore, with no one to take care of them when they grow old. Now things are different: nearly everyone will survive to adulthood, but parents need to invest their resources in education. So - they bring less children to the world, but support those better than ever before.
    @ohjanet and @Stefanie, since your organization, Encore.org, leverages the skills and talents of people over the age of 50, I wonder what's your take on this discussion?
  • StefanieStefanie Posts: 4 ✭✭
    More time means more time to connect to the next generation and to do something to leave the world a better place for them!
    @Stefanie That's a great thought. Perhaps mindful generational connection can result a greater sense of purpose as we live longer and traditional work models fall by the way side.
  • ohjanetohjanet Posts: 1
    @LisaCovington If you're interested, the founder of Encore.org, Marc Freedman, has a great new book out called "How to Live Forever" (encore.org/howtoliveforever). It's all about the power of intergenerational relationships. I love one big idea from the book - "Instead of trying to be young, focus on being there for those who actually are." With all those extra years of life, it would be incredible if we could harness it for social good.
    @ohjanet Will pick it up this weekend! Thanks
    @ohjanet , @Stefanie - beautiful thoughts, thank you! You've made me smile and look forward towards my own golden years :)
    Well, this calls my argument into question...

One in five Americans wants to live forever
    According to new data from YouGov Omnibus, one in five (19%) people agreed with the statement “I want to live forever.” A plurality (42%) chose “I want to live longer than a normal lifespan, but not forever” as the statement that comes closest to their views, while 23% say “I don't want to live longer than a normal lifespan.”

Americans 55 and older are the most likely of any age group to say they don’t want to live longer than normal (29%), while 18-34-year-olds are the most likely to say they want to live forever (24%).

That's an interesting divergence! What do you think explains it?
  • StefanieStefanie Posts: 4 ✭✭
    There are other researchers who come to different conclusions. (Nir Barzilai, David Ewing Duncan), with much smaller percentages of audiences saying they want to live forever.

It does seem understandable to me, though, that the older you are, the less likely you are to want to live forever. After all, the older you are, the more likely you are to have loved ones die and to see some impairment in your own abilities. Who wants to live forever while in pain or with diminishing capacity or alone?

Instead, I hope to spend more time with younger people as I age, living forever by contributing to their lives and memories. Maybe we can all live forever -- if we stop being quite so literal about it? ;)
    There could be an alternative explanation: Nir Barzilai is almost certainly lecturing mostly to audiences comprised of mainly old people. It may be that for many, the passion for life that they experience in youth and young adulthood, dwindles into a more consistent and low-tune desire to keep on living. Could it be that this difference in attitude is also the result of physiological changes (hormones, chemicals in the brain, etc.) and if we rejuvenate the body, we may also rekindle the passion for life?
    @stephanie you're right I also think that the older people in this study voted not wanting to live longer than normal because currently there really isn't a better, viable option for them.

Tagging on to what @Roey was saying, if we can find ways in the near future towards significant rejuvenation of the body and mind and thus improving quality of life, I suspect many of those people will jump over to wanting to live longer because life truly is so precious!
    Amen to that!
    I, for one, would love to live longer if it meant I'd be able to kayak, hike, and explore new places with my future great-grandchildren!
  • arshimehboobarshimehboob Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Living longer or living healthier?

Close to two in five over the age of 70, have trouble eating, bathing, dressing, getting in and out of bed, or using the toilet on their own. Several factors (food, genes, environmental conditions, lifestyles) determine how long and active you will be at 80 and beyond.

Researchers from the University of Chicago and Harvard Kennedy School, in the 16-page report, recommended five key evidence-based policy recommendations titled ‘A Roadmap Towards Cleaning India’s Air'. They have developed the air quality life index (AQLI), a metric that provides a means to predict the overall reduction in life expectancy caused by living in places with high levels of air pollution.
    @tblue, @anastasiyakgia and @joannabensz, you might be interested in this discussion as well. What were your takeaways from the lab on this?