This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Introductions

NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
Hi everyone! Please introduce yourselves here.

My name is Nick, I'll be managing the online community for this Prize Design. I'm from the Netherlands but live in Barcelona. My background is in political risk analysis, crowdsourced consultancy and journalism.

If you have any community-related questions or need help, please don't hesitate to message here or email me at nick.ottens@xprize.org.

Comments

• CarolineCaroline Posts: 47 XPRIZE
    Hello and welcome to the Infinity Water XPRIZE Design Online Expert Community!

I’m Caroline, a Project Manager with XPRIZE’s Impact & Design Team. During my time at XPRIZE, I worked on the Future of Food Impact Roadmap, Feeding the Next Billion Prize Design (focused on alternative proteins), and a Prize Design tackling Alzheimer's Disease.

Prior to XPRIZE, I worked in sustainable international development and conflict resolution with a specialization in gender, human rights, and democratic governance in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.

I look forward to working with you all on this new and exciting prize design!
  • TerryMulliganTerryMulligan Posts: 38 XPRIZE
    Hello Infinity Water XPRIZE Design Online Expert Community!

I’m Terry, a Product Manager with XPRIZE’s Impact & Design Team. During my time at XPRIZE, I have managed the prize design teams for the Rainforest XPRIZE, launched in 2019, and the Clean Air XPRIZE.

Prior to XPRIZE, I worked in international development, technology management consulting and corporate strategy. I'm passionate about ending global poverty, and have led efforts in education, global health, and social enterprise development in Africa and South America.

I am eager to share and learn how a prize can help address this global problem!
  • kimbed2kimbed2 Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, my name is Kimberly Duong and I am a civil engineer at the Department of Water and Power in Los Angeles, working on large-scale water recycling projects. I have a PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering from UC Irvine, with a concentration in Water Resources Management. I focused on wastewater reuse, stormwater capture, and urban water conservation programs.

I am also a co-founder and executive board member of a climate communications nonprofit called Climatepedia.

Outside of work and studies, I am very involved in science communication and science policy, which has led me to meeting many wonderful people.

You can find more information about me on my website, itskimberly.com.
  • NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    Thank you so much for joining us, @SethDarling and @kimbed2! We're happy to have you in the community.

If you have any community-related questions or need help, just let me know!
  • akbakb Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone
    It's great to see another key project of great worth. I did a report on innovative water and irrigation systems. [I'll post it in a suitable section here.]
  • fabchangfabchang Posts: 1
    Hi. My name is Fabian Chang from Ecuador. I founded Aquaintel, a consulting firm specialized in market intelligence for water, energy and infrastructure projects in Ecuador: http://www.aquaintel.com.ec/home
    Prior to Aquaintel, I worked for 10 years in the water utility of Guayaquil as manager of planning, commercial and regulatory affairs departments and 5 years as Director of economic outlook for a consultancy firm.
    My background is Economics (Master degree from Francisco Marroquín University of Guatemala), sustainable development, and water issues.
    We promote circular economy and share knowledge among water professionals.
    Happy to have you on the team, @akb, and thank you for joining us, @fabchang! I think your expertise could be enormously helpful to us in this design process.
  • deliadelia Posts: 6
    Hello
    My name is Delia. I am Living in Austria but I´m born in Romania.
    I am environmental and water management engineer. I am working in the field WWTP and DWTP and i am specilized in taking plants into operation ( WWTPs) as well as design and construction.
    I hope to be a helping hand in this Project. This water related problems will be a major risk in the near future. Thats why I think it is one of the most important topics nowadays.

• cinzia91cinzia91 Posts: 3
    Hi all! My name is Cinzia Cabboi, 28yo from Italy. I'm a chemical engineer, made in Sardinia but based in Berlin. Here I have been working for a water technology Start-Up. I love programming and modeling, and I have also some experience at sales. I just got the invitation to join the team and I'm really happy. I will have a deeper look now, in the meantime: thank you!

Best,
    Cinzia
    Thank you for joining the community, @cinzia91 and @delia! We're happy to have you and look forward to reading your insights!

If you have any community-related questions, or need help, please let me know.
  • FECHINEFECHINE Posts: 1
    Hello! My name is Francisco Fechine, from Brazil. I am an electronic engineer, with a PhD in Process Engineering, and a professor for 30 years at the Federal Institute of Paraíba, a public institution that offers technical and undergraduate courses in several areas (similar to American College). I am passionate about appropriate technologies, especially those related to the water problem in the Brazilian semiarid region. I am available to contribute to this excellent discussion group. Thanks for the invitation!
  • onitabasuonitabasu Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone
    My name is Onita Basu - I am an Associate Professor in Environmental Engineering at Carleton University (Ottawa, Canada). Interested to see how this category develops with time. Certainly believe that decentralized treatment options are key for access to improved water on a global scale but also believe that social integration, policy, and local/specialized education are also important factors.
    Cheers, Onita Basu
  • Good day everyone

My name is Sean Wells. I am glad I was invited for I will come every time when somebody mentions working in harmony with nature. Although I was born in South Africa and are currently living there, I have lived for a great portion of my life in another country, Namibia. Living in more than one place has somehow taught me that I cannot just focus on one place without neglecting the other or in fact the whole planet for all are interconnected. Further, I don't have much formal credentials except for a Diploma in Fisheries Resource Management. However, my interests in green energy has come a long way. I have been designing and tinkering in the field since my school days and I actually have lost count of the many and different types of research I have read, studied and also tried. Projects to with water has been one of my research areas and I am glad to be part of any such ventures. Further, basically I am just somebody who is grateful for the experience to be part of this community and hopefully we may solve at least one of the problems facing humanity.
    Welcome @FECHINE, @onitabasu and @Earthphoenix! We're happy to have you. You can find our active discussions under Key Issues. If you have any questions or need help, just send me a message.
  • gtparkergtparker Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi everybody

I'm Dr. Geoff Parker and am an Environmental Engineering academic and consultant currently based in Liverpool, UK.

Did my Ph.D. at the University of Ottawa Canada and then was awarded and took up a Senior Fellowship with a 1M-USD endowment at the University of Cambridge where I had my first PI-role and research group and where I worked until joining LJMU in Liverpool as Senior Lecturer of Water Engineering.

(Where opinions are expressed on this personal account, they are my own and not that of any other organisation.)

I've got a couple of books out. At Cambridge I was leader of the module Environmental Engineering in the Centre for Sustainable Development and others. I agree with my fellow Ottawan Onita, that appropriate solutions are very important. I was also a named researcher on several CUED bids e.g. for the very succesful FIBE-CDT and several UK government and industry grants as well.

I've worked quite a bit internationally (I've lived and worked in Canada, the UK, the MENA, France, etc.) and my expertise and interests are varied. I have worked quite a bit on understanding resilience/adaptive measures (including formally, through e.g. coupled models which lots of people still get wrong) and on improving our (also still imperfect) understanding of well-known treatment methods as well as novel treatment techniques.

Nice to see so many other enthusiastic and interesting people on here, excited to be on the team!
  • Hello everyone.
    My name is Vesa Lius.
    I am an engineer and innovator from Finland who lives in northern Sweden near the Arctic Circle.
    It will be interesting to share thoughts and ideas with like-minded people.
    I am sure that I will gain new insights from you all and I believe that I can contribute constructively as well.
  • GadGad Posts: 1
    Hi everyone.
    My name is Gad Marton.
    I'm Co-founder and CEO of SoliDrip an Israeli startup
    Our mission is to boost up the urban greening. Therefore, we developed a revolutionary autonomous irrigation device designed for urban gardening. Our technology always provides the optimal amount of water for each plant, saving substantial amounts of water and preventing water runoff and drain issues. The SoliDrip system designed for public and private, outdoor and indoor gardens of any scale. Supporting any plant and planting methods. Our unique technology requires zero maintenance.
    I'm happy to join this wonderful community, I like to help to do good and to discover new exciting ideas, and opportunities.
  • CloudWaterCloudWater Posts: 6
    edited February 2020
    Dear All,
    My name is Andrew Kazantsev. I am a nuclear engineer and SW developer, and inventor of Aero Hydro Electric Station (project AirHES). This is idea to use a new global resource - Cloud Power & Water, theoretically the second (after Sun) source of renewable power (~800TW), the first source of fresh water (~11 times more than all rivers), and a solution for climate problem.
    It seems to me that AirHES could solve the water problem:
    • Water from the clouds is an ideal fresh water (practically distillate), which was cleaned by solar energy when it evaporates naturally.
    • This water is publicly available, since clouds occupy ~ 67% of the planet’s surface, and you can get this water almost anywhere relatively cheaply.
    • Moreover, you do not waste energy, but on the contrary, you can simultaneously receive it in the form of green renewable hydropower.
    • In addition, this water is cold, clean and supplied under high natural pressure, which allows it to be used in existing communal networks without any additional treatment.
    • At last, the resource of this water is huge - 11 times more all rivers.
    Now this project is free for all, but frozen due to lack of investment for R&D (I spent alone all my resources and some years for my own R&D). If anybody wants to support and to use this global solution, I am ready to continue this project in any place of the world. Please, look at this as approximate business plan.
  • emakmelemakmel Posts: 2
    Hi, my name is Eddy, I'm working for Strauss Water, the largest water bar manufacturer in Israel and together with Haier, # 4 in the Chinese market. www.strauss-water.com

In my opinion, maintenance is the issue, we need a system with 0 maintenance, 0 malfunctions and for sure, a system that will produce a healthy water.

Concepts like water generation from the air using cooling mechanism are widely available but requires heavy maintenance and consumes a lot of energy (e.g. http://watermakerindia.com , https://www.watergen.com)

Good luck!
    Eddy
  • emakmelemakmel Posts: 2
    Solutions like https://www.zeromasswater.com/ can be relevant, almost 0 moving parts and almost 0 maintenance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Thank you for sharing. Someday I will check out the technique. This interests me in particular due to the fact that I have designed some water from air machines myself. Never managed to get them to production so I am impressed of those ho do. All of luck to them!
    Sorry who do.
    emakmel wrote: »
    Solutions like https://www.zeromasswater.com/ can be relevant, almost 0 moving parts and almost 0 maintenance.

Fascinating! Thanks for the link!
    @emakmel
    @NickOttens
    I wrote that I will check out Zero mass water technology.
    I am not going to comment.
    You can find comments yourself.
    Like I wrote I have designed some models myself some of the designs with no need of cooling or heating.
    This makes the water less expensive.
    I have presented my first giveaway here.
    You can if interested find it under “About the infinity water prize design”.
    I have others if someone is seriously interested.
    I will present them for you if so; but remember to mention that the ideas came from XPRIZE if someone manages to make use of the ideas.
    For myself I changed direction; in most cases rain water harvesting is much better.
    Water from air machines can be an addition in very dry areas.
  • cinzia91cinzia91 Posts: 3
    @cinzia91 said:
    Hi all! My name is Cinzia and I'm a chemical engineer. I live in Berlin and here I have worked for a water technology Start-Up. I love programming and modeling, and I have also some experience at sales. Thank you for your invitation.

Best,
    Cinzia
  • bngejanebngejane Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Hello Team, great to be here and learn. This should be very interesting.
  • AquaDocAquaDoc Posts: 2
    Hello.

My name is Troy Vassos.

I am an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of British Columbia and a Technical Director and Senior Environmental/Process Engineer with over 40 years of experience in the fields of industrial and municipal water and wastewater treatment process design, treatment process operations and optimization, related regulatory and standards development and technology performance verification. Over the past 25 years I have been increasingly focussing my work in the area of integrated water management including water reuse and rainwater harvesting, with a particular emphasis on decentralized (onsite/parcel-level) water management.

At one time buildings in many urban cores shared a common municipal energy or heating system; whereas most modern buildings today have their own HVAC system. Similarly, the technology now exists for buildings to manage, treat and reuse water to minimize water and energy footprints and demands on municipal water and wastewater infrastructure. For such technologies to be used in residential applications, where there are no skilled operators to intercede, they must be robust, flexible, adaptable, stable, and reliable. Beyond the technical requirements, the technology must also be culturally acceptable and must effect change in human behaviour and continually increase sustainability through feedback mechanisms with users.

I look forward to seeing what partnerships the Infinity Water Prize brings about.