This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Which questions should we ask our interviewees?

Hi everyone,

We'll soon start conducting interviews with scientific researchers in the field of longevity, with entrepreneurs and pharma people, and with sociologists, journalists and futurists. We want to hear from them what they think about the future of longevity, how they perceive radical life extension, and what they think needs to happen to make it a reality.

My question for you is - what do you think we need to ask them? What do you want to learn about longevity, from the top experts in the field?

Please let us know, so we can include those questions in the interviews!

Comments

• RoeyRoey Posts: 160 XPRIZE
    @ymedan - would love to know what you think.
  • ymedanymedan Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Hi Roey,

First and foremost we need to distinguish between longevity=life expectancy and healthy life span. Idealy we wish to maximize longevity=healthy life span.

The fact of the matter is that life expectancy in the US is decreasing for the 3rd consecutive year. This is in part due to a much earlier onset of various chronic disease conditions. Consequently the span of healthy life is not very long.

So in my mind, the first question to ask is what are the root causes for such an early onset of chronic diseases, what are the triggers in the environment, food and workplace. Once these are addressed, not by drugs but by adopting/prescribing healthy life style anchored in scientific knowledge, longevity will emerge naturally.

From a science viewpoint, you may want to review the latest on the impact and interplay of genomics, microbiome and mitochondria on wellbeing. Such knowledge and insights are being created as we "speak".

I hope this helps
    Age, aging and how to count them
    I started to count my age in Hexadecimal base and it made me much younger :smile: 128 is the new 80 (128=x'80').
    But to be more realistic, perhaps counting based on dozens may make more sense (96=z'80'). This may allow keeping the retirement age at "67" but based on counting in dozens (=79). But if you really are into showing off your age, count in binary. You will reach b'100' (4) in no time.... and live to a million (=128) years
  • RoeyRoey Posts: 160 XPRIZE
    @ymedan - this helps a lot. Thank you!
    @JessicaYoon - I think you'll find some interesting ideas (and links to interesting people) to follow up on in here.
  • What I would want to learn about longevity from top experts:

- What are the main theories about what causes biological systems to age in the first place? How far are we from finding out how to stop this aging process? (length of telomeres? oxidative stress?)
    - What is the current status of our global healthspan? Are people actually living longer, healthier these days, VS a few decades ago?
    - What are the most common causes of early death, and have we developed simple tests which can monitor certain biological markers and help us prevent those? (for example, heart problems come to mind)
    - What is the current status of research around reversing aging through the use of stem cells, "young blood" or other technologies? Can we expect breakthroughs where we might start to truly become younger every year? (this would technically enable living virtually forever)