This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Lack of political will and restrictive regulation limits water reuse and public acceptance

XPRIZEXPRIZE Posts: 193 admin
edited February 2020 in Barriers to Water Reuse
There appears to be a lack of political will to take on water reuse and public acceptance -- as well as a dearth of regulation to facilitate -- water reuse and potable standards.

While public acceptance is growing (WHO, 2017), a key to successful implementation of potable reuse is planned and targeted public engagement by decision-makers to build acceptance.
  • Do you agree this is a major barrier to water reuse?
  • Do you know of any specific innovations currently trying to address this problem?

Comments

• GREENLYGREENLY Posts: 46 ✭✭
    The reuse of water for industry could be spread but for domestic aims could be a cultural matter governments should share and work together. Reuse may solve many of the actual problems of water in countries where infraestructure is poor.
    Additionally governments in Latinamerica have a lack of good engineers trying to use new solutions and technologies and on the contrary they stay in traditional methods that are not useful anymore. Problems grow and solutions are not practical.
  • NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    Thank you for sharing, @GREENLY!

@Vinh, @jk972, @Vero, I'd like to invite you to join this discussion as well. We're interested in learning more about how this problem is being tackled around the world.
  • CarolineCaroline Posts: 47 XPRIZE
    Thanks for your insights @GREENLY

You point to something very important in many contexts around the world where governments are lagging behind when it comes to technical expertise and cutting edge technologies.

What in your opinion are ways to mitigate this challenge?

We are also interested in situations where government regulations could be an obstacle to water reclamation efforts.

Please share your experiences around government regulations with us!
  • EtiEti Posts: 107 XPRIZE
    Thank you @GREENLY

To all, what could help convince policymakers? Certain quality? Live demonstration? Maybe building political capital with certain groups? Any other ideas?

Has it been your experience that political will responds better to the need (i.e., water became scarce)? or maybe there is rather a consideration of savings/cost? or increased attention to sustainability?
    Both. Water will be scarce is an idea for people in general that could function (they do not realize until it happens) but at the same time if we consider actor form private sector should change their systems to a more profitable one (they will investo more) but at last government need private sector to solve to whole situation with incentives. That is why both in my opinion.
  • NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    @renewable12, @Tomer_Cultivaid, I'd like to invite you to join this discussion as well.

What, in your experience, moves political will on this issue?