This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Community-Scale Volume

XPRIZEXPRIZE Posts: 193 admin
An onsite system that serves multiple dwellings in urban and rural settings.
11 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I wrote earlier that I hope the competition will be by doing an experimental suburb.
    With the help of a sponsor.
    Where different techniques could be compared house by house?
    Sorry.
    More thoughts on the competition.
    3 final teams that have an overall plan for suburban systems may first make systems into detached villas.
    There, water quality and environmental impact costs are evaluated according to criteria.
    Costs cannot be evaluated per liter.
    Instead lifetime cost and annual net cost for the homeowner.
    The winner receives the honor and their proposal is used for a suburb.
    Which may consist of houses developed by Charter communities?
    Of course a circular holistisk solution.
  • NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    Thanks for your comments, @Vesa! I imagine we will have to run a type of testing in an existing environment, although I'm not sure yet what that will look like. Stay tuned, we should have more on that soon.

In the meantime, let me also ask @KelseyMcwilliams, @jsmegal and @RamonaP if they think this should be one of the criteria according to which teams competing a Circular Water Economy XPRIZE would be judged?

We have drafted 10 potential judging criteria and are now asking experts in the community to vote for 5 each to find out how we can create the most impactful yet audacious integrated wastewater treatment system.

If you think community-scale volume should be one of the 5 criteria, please vote this up by clicking on the arrow in the yellow box.

Thanks!
  • RamonaPRamonaP Posts: 2
    It is more clear today that the infrastructure we created, including for water, is very fragile. As reports of people flushing wipes and clogging drains, and reports of Covid-19 virus being detected in sewage are surfacing, it is clear that we have to move towards decentralized, community-scale water and wastewater treatment systems. Modularity helps to scale-up easily when the community is expanding, and avoids cross-contamination.
    Thank you all for sharing your comments and voting here!

@ilanle, @hermanowicz, @Hadas, @tommyngai, this is currently in sixth place, trailing energy efficiency by just two votes.

Our goal is to select 5 out of 10 potential criteria for a water XPRIZE, so I'd like to ask if you would vote this up to bring it into the top 5, or if you don't think it should be a priority?
  • gtparkergtparker Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If I can suggest something -- it may be that many of these criteria overlap to some degree (given the definitions I have seen) or even to a high degree. Likewise it may be that some criteria make more sense to be included if others are not or only if another related criteria IS included etc.

(You might be able to differentiate to a very limited degree which these are by a correlation analysis of respondents, or you can maybe do this informally).

If the goal is to select 5 based on vote/discussion I think you might want to consider floating sets of 5 and then asking people to vote on those or explaining their thinking.

There is a great community here and we are all enthusiastic about everything! Once we start to see our pet criteria fall off the list (or always be on the list) maybe that will help to focus minds/comments.
    gtparker wrote: »
    If I can suggest something -- it may be that many of these criteria overlap to some degree (given the definitions I have seen) or even to a high degree. Likewise it may be that some criteria make more sense to be included if others are not or only if another related criteria IS included etc.

That's absolutely true!
    gtparker wrote: »
    If the goal is to select 5 based on vote/discussion I think you might want to consider floating sets of 5 and then asking people to vote on those or explaining their thinking.

That would make the voting exercise a lot more complicated, though, and I don't want to ask too much of people's time either.

When selecting the final criteria, we won't just look at which placed highest but also take all the feedback the community is providing into account.

In addition, we may want to consider using some criteria which didn't end up in the top 5 for bonus awards and recommending others as extras to the judges in the competition.

But it's useful for us to get a rough sense from you, the experts, which criteria should be a priority and which shouldn't.