This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Potential countries for testing eHealth programs

2»

Comments

• EwunateEwunate Posts: 2
    Thanks for giving this chance
    let me point out some points about Ethiopia
    1. in Ethiopia the ratio of doctors to people is about 3 doctors for 100,000 peoples
    2. in Ethiopia about 25 million people (quarter of the total population ) uses uses internet
    3. there is economical and geographical barrier to access health service
    due to these reasons I believe Ethiopia would be one of the best suited country for testing eHealth programs. this is also true for Malawi and Tanzania
    in my opinion Ethiopia, Malawi and Tanzania will be suitable for eHealth programs. these countries are the list countries in doctor to people ratio and health care facilities.
  • ShashiShashi Posts: 596 admin
    @supratik12, @rajpanda, @Ewunate - Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. We have taken a note of all points.

Hi @Lauren, @elekaja, @acavaco, @jenyxp, @krp, @ArdenVent, @nothmany, @Budoff, @timothymusila, @uniyalbandana, @nowellk - What do you think on the best locations to pilot test digital health solution?
  • HeatherSuttonHeatherSutton Posts: 77 XPRIZE
    @Shabbir ~ I love your perspective and you are 100% correct. "Humans are humans no matter in which country they born or living.". The reason we are considering partnering with one (or more) specific countries is so that we can co-design a solution with the government so that the likelihood of implementation is higher. Also, while there are many similiarities amongst humans, there are many nuances and intricacies when it comes to public policy and public governance.

What do you think of the idea of choosing one country as a use case and then (assuming success of the pilot), creating a "playbook" of sorts that other countries can use as a guidepost in case they want to implement similar solutions/technologies?
    @tylerbn ~ Really great insight regarding looking for countries with stronger political infrastructure and more of a middle class and growing private sector, in order to diversify financing models for trying a new technology. This seems like a great criteria for emerging economies. Do you have any suggestions on how we should think about this when it comes to very low income countries that don't have a strong emerging middle class? While we understand the infrastructure is important (and in many cases essential), we are also trying to weigh those ideal scenarios against wanting to reach the most vulnerable populations in low income countries. Would love your thoughts on how to balance these two competing criteria.
    @Nitesh ~ Brilliant! I love that you also highlight the importance of considering electromechanical tools. We often struggle with our own short-sightedness around emphasizing just the digital aspect. It's great to be reminded of the importance of physical aspects as well.
    You mention the Philippines as a country that can give insights about the East Asian healthcare system. Do you happen to know what aspects of the health system might be a proxy for the other East Asian countries and their health system?
    @boblf029 - What an insightful post! The idea of testing in 3 different countries as a means to study 3 different types of society is very interesting. This would be quite an endeavor from a prize operations point of view, so I wonder if we could test in a phased approach with multiple competitions (one for each country) to narrow scope, while at the same time validate across multiple contexts. What do you think of that idea?

Your other suggestion - to also consider countries based on their ability to recruit foreign health workers is also very interesting and I like how you tied this in with countries who speak multiple languages.

Thank you for that!
    @addy_kulkarni ~ Your suggestions are so helpful! Thank you for this! This is the first time any experts have recommended El Salvador and, based on your outline, it does seem as though that country would be ripe for some e-health innovation. Do you happen to know what enabling structures are in place in El Salvador which allow for such large staffing of health workers? In light of the fact that so many countries struggle with adequately staffing health workers, I wonder what it is that makes El Salvador's system unique there.

Massive thanks for also highlighting the challenges in the distribution of existing resources. Gives us much to consider there!
    @bngejane ~ You've done an extraordinary job laying out the pros of the top 3 countries. Thank you!!!
    @dollendorf ~ Such an interesting angle! I like that you prioritize counties with a formalized approach to health technology assessment. From what we've heard in many expert interviews, many governments struggle to assess different health tech innovations. Do you happen to know if there are any reports or resources we can read to learn more about the assessment criteria of various digital health innovations?
    @SArora ~ As always, thank you so much for your insight. I love the depth of your thinking around the strategy of scaling. And I love how you share ECHO's process with us to illustrate the fact that you really practice what you preach. Thank you for all your contributions here and in the field! :)
    @joshnesbit ~ I really appreciate how you are encouraging us to keep the aperture open. The question "Where would you propose attempting [some specific and important thing] initially, and why?" is the right question to ask. Absolutely. And I think we're realizing now the importance of narrowing down and zeroing in on the prize scope a bit so that we can fill in that "specific and important thing".

Then, to your other point, we can then collaborate closely with a country (or multiple countries) to co-design and refine the challenge to meet the specific needs of the context.

Keep challenging us, Josh! We love it!
    @paulauerbach ~ Thank you so much for commenting out of direct experience and your desire to help make connections for the winning team. So generous of you! I really like your idea of "sister countries" because I think LMICs and HICs have a lot to learn from each other and the knowledge exchange in this kind of bottom-up innovation approach could be so beneficial for both LMICs and HICs.
    @rajpanda ~ You make a great case for those countries - thank you!
    Really curious about your experience with testing new innovations. Can you tell us more about some of the processes/supports necessary for a robust evaluation that includes empirical and costing data? Testing is such a key issue for this prize (as with all of our XPRIZES) and it will be a key factor when we consider such things as establishing proof that a solution that is successful in one country can also be successful in other LMICs.
  • dollendorfdollendorf Posts: 4
    @HeatherSutton: thanks for your feedback. A good place to start would be a WHO guideline on digital health: https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/digital-interventions-health-system-strengthening/en/. A cautionary note--there is ongoing work to identify where the evidence gaps are most prominent, and that was interrupted by the pandemic. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in the UK, arguably the world's best-known HTA agency, has also developed a framework for assessing digital health interventions: https://www.nice.org.uk/about/what-we-do/our-programmes/evidence-standards-framework-for-digital-health-technologies
    Thanks @dollendorf for sharing the resources.

@grandner, @ajeeta, @ssekitoleko, @pkatakam9, @RKadam - Curious to know if you have any inputs to share on the best locations to pilot test digital health solution.
    Wow @dollendorf ! These are great guides! And really appreciate you pointing us towards the NICE framework. This is perfect for our use! Thank you!!
    Hello @kkatara, @alabriqu, @zerofive and @lswright - Do you have a different opinion then the comments so far on best locations to pilot test digital health solution? Join the discussion to share your thoughts.
  • mashizaqmashizaq Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I am so grateful that my country (KENYA) has been considered as a potential locations for the competition. We here will be so much honoured to host this. Our medical professionals are more than ready to help. Having been endorsed as the head office of the African CDC, this shows that our potential is beyond measure.
    Also, now that I am a contributor to this competition, if allowed, I would like to volunteer as one of the beneficiaries of the test programme, when and if it comes to Kenya.
    This is a study I have always imagined of being involved in and now that it has come to me, I feel that the opportunity is God-sent. There is no better way to fulfill my desires than to dive right in and sample the product as part of my learning.
    Thanks @mashizaq for sharing your thoughts. We are still in the prize design stage. Once we decide the final countries for testing and if Kenya happens to be on the list, we'll connect with you.

We are glad to know that you are interested in this project. I am curious to know if you have thoughts on the implications of testing an eHealth solution in one or many countries.

• mashizaqmashizaq Posts: 47 ✭✭
    @Shashi With the ever advancing technology, why not innovate health as well? There might be limitations, especially when it comes to individual beliefs and customs. For example, Obama Care in the US which my country decided to implement and called it Universal Health Care. But it is not mandatory. Allowing citizens to practice their free will is key to the success of eHealth.
    Other persons might have a religious misinterpretation of the term and act against the practice.
    We all have our individual view of the world. Those not interested with the system should be left alone to continue with their traditional practices. The success of the programme will be the driving force to a transformation and a change in mentality for those acting against it to eventually embrace the practice as well.
    Hi @mariusungureanu, @berniceredley, @Deepti, @PHall, @mhackett - Curious to know if you have any inputs to share on the best locations to pilot test digital health solution.
  • mendezra2mendezra2 Posts: 1
    Hi. May I please suggest Venezuela to be considered in this list?
    The country is now suffering the most shocking humanitarian crisis of the modern era, with an estimated exodus of 5 to 6 million people (20% of Venezuela's actual population and a refugee crisis worse than the Syrian refugee crisis, which it has been a consequence of a cruel civil war). The health system is completely destroyed and people die at home because they cannot access even a minimum of health services from the government system. Furthermore, private healthcare systems are costly and prohibitive for more than 95% of the population.