This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Potential Judging Criteria for Round One

ShashiShashi Posts: 596 admin
edited October 2020 in Prize Design
If teams are challenged to design a solution that aggregates and harmonizes health data to address the primary care needs of a country. And those same teams are also asked to leverage data science techniques to enable health leadership to secondarily derive value from the harmonized data.
  • What should their written proposals contain for the first round of judging?
  • What elements must the written proposals include?
  • How will those elements be evaluated by the judges?
  • How long should we give the teams to write their proposals?

Comments

• ShashiShashi Posts: 596 admin
    Hi @ymedan, @SArora, @mashizaq, @shamakarkal, @Nitesh, @addy_kulkarni, @bngejane, @ajchenx - In the frontline health competition, round one would include written proposal submission of the digital health solution design. What should be the essential elements of such a proposal?
  • mashizaqmashizaq Posts: 47 ✭✭
    @Shashi The nature/architecture, its components/layout/structure, its operation/mechanisms, who it will be used on/for, effectiveness, benefits, problems and solution to problems, future plans
    Thank you @mashizaq for sharing these elements of the proposal. Further I would like to understand on what basis should we evaluate the elements mentioned by you.
    @Shashi Evaluating the elements will allow us to refine potential solutions to challenges within the digital health solution design. We are faced with the need to gain an understanding of all the issues surrounding the digital health solution design challenge. Working through these non-technical contextual factors will help us generate useful, appropriate and successful design solutions to the digital health solution design.
    Thanks @mashizaq for sharing your thoughts. Do you think three months would be sufficient for preparing the written proposal?
    @Shashi Anything is possible. It sure is doable. It all depends with the size of the team we are working with.
    If the main components are identified and groups into objectives; where the objectives are then divided amongst the team, three months is really a long time.
    I recently participated in a design challenge that was well tackled this way. This very first stage took us just two weeks.
    Hi @jonc101, @aassif_lg, @synhodo, @care2communities, @reubenwenisch, @Vishalgandhi, @janansmith, @Kwenz, @arun_venkatesan, @Nvargas2 - Curious to know if you could advise us on the elements of the written proposal for round one of the competition.
    Hi @supratik12 - As you are participating in an XPRIZE, I feel you might have inputs on the time period required for written proposal submission on the solution to be developed in round one of the competition also what should be the key contents of the written proposal. Any inputs would be helpful in designing the competition framework.

Hey @zubaidabi, @creativiti, @sola1008, @dykki, @biki, @siimsaare, @Debbie_Rogers, @praveenraja, @JoanneP, @rajpanda - As you have been the founders / advisors & consultants of digital health solutions - You might have inputs on what goes into designing a digital health solution in the initial stage; the key elements to be included based on the proposed prize design of this competition.
  • ymedanymedan Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Hi, sorry for my late response. I think simplicity, UI/UX and backend connectivity should be taken into account. These are essential elements in any DH solution. Of corse, the fidelity of the tracked biomarkers and their ability to cover the essential clinical parameters for accurate predictions are key.
    Thanks @ymedan for sharing your thoughts.

Hi @Rajen, @scveena, @pglass, @ShmuleyG, @grandner, @MachineGenes, @Marthavjennings, @kakkattil, @dzera, @Hlantum, @preciouslunga, @elayer - Curious to know if you could advise us on the elements of the written proposal for round one of the competition based on the proposed prize design.
  • Hi. Accessibility should also be taken into account.
  • HeatherSuttonHeatherSutton Posts: 77 XPRIZE
    edited October 2020
    @mashizaq ~ Wonderful suggestions all around. And thank you for sharing your thoughts on the timeframe for the written proposals. Would you mind sharing a bit more about the design challenge you recently worked on?
    • What were the objectives of that challenge?
    • How did you strategize your approach to the written proposal?
    • What we some of the guardrails around the proposals (for instance, font size, min/max number of pages, line spacing, etc?)

edited October 2020
    @ymedan ~ As always, thank you for your pointed comments! I love how you distilled those elements down to the most essential. Very helpful! What do you think about the timeframe (3 months for teams to submit their written proposals)? Do you think that time is sufficient?

Of course, we'd like to run an efficient competition, so we want to find the balance of allowing teams sufficient time to write quality proposals and yet keep the competition timeline focused so that ample time can be given to other stages of the competition (such as solution development, deployment, and testing).
    @preciouslunga ~ Thank you for your addition. Accessibility should absolutely be addressed. What do you think about the timeframe - 3 months for teams to submit their written proposals? Do you think that time is sufficient? Too much?
    @HeatherSutton I recently participated in the WDO ISSNL Design in Space Challenge whose main goal is to build an Orbital University. The project focused on the following three objectives;
    1. How can space-based research address UN Sustainable Development Goals?
    2. How can we build an orbital university?
    3. How can ISS become a business incubator?
    The project had 70 participants, where we were divided into 5 groups, with each group holding their own in-depth discussions as to what the project should entail. My group tacked the second objective.
    We had two weeks to do our group discussions, after which we shared our ideas to a group of panelists in charge of the project.
    For online collaboration we used Miro and thereafter presented our findings using slides. There was no restrictions on formatting or the length of our submissions. In fact, creativity came as an added advantage. The only limitation was the duration of doing our presentations, which I think was roughly 15 minutes.
    But being a content writer that I am, I think there is a standard format which should be used i.e. (Times New Roman "12, doubled spaced). As for presentations, we only take the main points.
    If we are to present in book form, then I think that this report should be as detailed as possible, and probably provide 3 timelines (Alpha, Beta and Gamma) to implement the project and what each entails. Our submissions should reflect the final product and it is how well we present our research that will determine if the project will qualify for phase 2.
  • ymedanymedan Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    @HeatherSutton Thank you. I believe that 3 months are sufficient. Submissions will most probably be based on knowledge and experience that have been nurtured months and years prior to that. Almost all is left is adaptation to Xprize framework. For great DH solutions take a look at StartupHealth
    Hi @skm, @skornik, @DidierC, @LaurenMW, @aroamer, @ssekitoleko, @martijnspruit, @dpatterson22, @Davisthedoc, @ClaireM - What are your thoughts on the elements of the written proposal for round one of the competition based on the proposed prize design? How much time should be given to the teams to submit the proposal?
    @mashizaq ~ What an interesting project you worked on there! Thank you for sharing your experience and sharing those tips!
    @ymedan ~ Great point there about the experience that teams will bring in to the competition for the get-go. Feeling a lot more confident in our 3 month window for solutions. :)
    @HeatherSutton Thanks. It's been a pleasure working with this team. Let's take this project home. I promised @Shashi to provide a region for trial and help during the test phase, something I'm still focused on delivering.
  • NiteshNitesh Posts: 7
    What should their written proposals contain for the first round of judging?
    What elements must the written proposals include?
    Problem and need, Solution, team and current status including baseline information. (each should be less than 250 words)
    How will those elements be evaluated by the judges?
    There has to guide document for judges to use harmonised criteria. Some of the criteria can be of criticality (does intervention impact the mortality or quality of life or, frequency, time to impact (is the intervention be lifesaving immediately to it requires years of systematic changes). Many times different experience and understanding of judges can rank a single application differently. Some judges are strict and some are bit easy which can put a bias in the results. For judges, there can be a section to explain the reason for scoring which can be further evaluated by the Xprize team specially for the boundary and highest-ranked proposals.
    How long should we give the teams to write their proposals?
    3 months is more than enough.
    I hope this would help.
    Thanks @Nitesh for sharing details on the judging criteria.