This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

You can't read if you don't have light, we gave our literacy graduates a solar light in Kenya

davidsandsdavidsands Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited April 2021 in Global Learning
dave sands

Comments

• NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    Hi @davidsands, let me move this into the Education & Learning category.

Can you tell us more?
  • davidsandsdavidsands Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Our project (toothpickproject.org) involved mitigating a real problem for subsistence farmers in Kenya. The problem was a serious yield reducing parasitic weed, Striga (witchweed). As we trained subsistence farmers, who tended our research plots of the toothpickproject.org, it became clear that the best graduation present for subsistence farmers simultaneously trained to read and to solve their agricultural problems, was solar powered lanterns, so that they could be further empowered by reading. Check out the toothpickproject.org. Dave Sands davidsands41@yahoo.com
  • NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    Thanks, @davidsands! I hope it's OK if I share the video here you shared with me, so others can see? (You just copy-paste the YouTube URL in your post, and then the community automatically embeds it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD38kjJqyiE
  • mattymattmattymatt Posts: 41
    Hi @davidsands! it sounds like a amazing thing that your doing for their communities. and thank you for the video @NickOttens, it was extremely informative.
  • davidsandsdavidsands Posts: 9 ✭✭
    If you wish to know where we are and where we are going let us know
    davidsands41@yahoo.com
    Claire Baker
    toothpickprojectinfo@gmail.com
  • mattymattmattymatt Posts: 41
    Thank you @davidsands ! Ill shoot you over a email now to get some more information