This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

$100M Gigaton Scale Carbon Removal

XPRIZEXPRIZE Posts: 193 admin
edited February 2021 in Carbon Removal
XPRIZE Carbon Removal is aimed at tackling the biggest threat facing humanity — fighting climate change and rebalancing Earth’s carbon cycle. Funded by Elon Musk and the Musk Foundation, this $100M competition is the largest incentive prize in history, an extraordinary milestone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX1DAqxXEI8

The world's leading scientists estimate that we may need to remove as much as 6 gigatons of CO2 per year by 2030, and 10 gigatons per year by 2050 to avoid the worst effects of climate change. For humanity to reach the Paris Agreements goal of limiting the Earth’s temperature rise to no more than 1.5˚(C) of pre-industrial levels, or even 2˚(C), we need bold, radical tech innovation and scale up that goes beyond limiting CO2 emissions, but actually removes CO2 already in the air and oceans. If humanity continues on a business-as-usual path, the global average temperature could increase 6˚(C) by the year 2100.

This four-year global competition invites innovators and teams from anywhere on the planet to create and demonstrate solutions that can pull carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere or oceans ultimately scaling massively to gigaton levels, locking away CO2 permanently in an environmentally benign way.

Solutions will be scientifically evaluated across multiple criteria such as; amount of CO2 removed, life cycle analysis of the removal process, energy efficiency, land footprint and sequestration capabilities.

Any carbon negative solution is eligible: nature-based, direct air capture, oceans, mineralization, or anything else that sequesters CO2 permanently.

Team registration opens with the announcement of the full competition guidelines on Earth Day, April 22nd 2021. The competition will last for 4 years through Earth Day 2025.

Click here to learn more.

Comments

• AshishAshish Posts: 5
    Sir ! I have an idea but i don't know where to express it . Could you please guide me.
    We all know, by planting trees .the problem of global warming can be control. But it's not possible to planting trees all over .it required large space to plant trees heavily and also take too much time .so by inventing something like tree but not tree ,which i have been already think and by applying some ideas ,which i have, we will be able to control the carbon emission which simultaneously help to decrease global warming.
  • NickOttensNickOttens Posts: 899 admin
    @Ashish, thank you for your interest! Registration will open on April 22. You'll be able to join the competition then and submit your proposal. Stay tuned!
    Thanks to inform sir
  • lauramatraxlauramatrax Posts: 3
    I would love to see a similar or aligned initiative for all schools across the world to engage children in a similar project raising real awareness and action with our future policy makers, place makers, industrialists, entrepreneurs. I believe there would be some really amazing innovation come out of this type of initiative and provide the opportunity for kids in schools where such projects like this will never be explored.