This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

China Tests Giant Air Cleaner to Combat Smog

Copy Pasting @hopkepk
Dr. Philip K. Hopke wrote:
A more realistic but not yet proven practical solution is described in http://english.cas.cn/newsroom/research_news/201803/t20180312_190633.shtml
Given how much went into building and operating it, I am not sure there are net savings in pollution.

Comments

• akbakb Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    It's much better to tackle emissions at source (the exhaust pipe/chimney). Once pollutants are in the air they are not only being hovered up by the proposed technology, but by the lungs of people. In the case of vehicle emissions people are usually on the front line, right next to the road - breathing pollutants in before any ambient technology has had chance to remove them from the air.
  • akbakb Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @hopkepk, @jamesburbridge, @TerryMulligan
    Another reason why this technology can be ineffective is that on some days there is no natural movement of air (horizontally or vertically). This means emissions near a source remain high.

Similarly, the canyon effect (on streets with tall buildings either side) traps pollutants on the street, resulting in high pollutant concentrations.

The proposed technology is likely to be vulnerable to these effects.
  • SimonyuSimonyu Posts: 20 ✭✭
    For Indoor air quality control.
    I have a patented solution to deal with indoor pollution. I designed a drone based device, measures 8"x 4" ( 20cm x 10cm ) small autopilot drone. Under the drone there is a system of TIo2 charged plates and with UV irritated tube and Ions generator and O3 generator. User can command the drone remotely ( using Wi-Fi ) and watch its action live when he is away from home. The drone takes off and shower the rooms with billions of negative Ions which attach to polluted air particulates make them heavier. Polluted air participated to ground due to extra ions. UV activates TIo2 then converts bad air and bacteria to harmless Co2 and water. And O3 eliminates bad odors. By the time user returns home, the rooms become free from polluted air. Also, the drone equipped with a set of high voltage screens that kills mosquitoes in contact. 10-2-19