This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

PM Winter Temperature Inversion and Snow Interactions Air Quality Degradation

Living in Wyoming, we experience worsening air quality during winter due to air temperature inversions and PM interactions. Some changes such as switching from diesel to natural gas engines for electric generators helps lessen the adverse effects because PM emissions are reduced. "Effects of Snow Cover and Atmospheric Stability on Winter PM2.5 Concentrations in Western U.S. Valleys" by Mark C. Green, Judith C. Chow, and John G. Watson, Desert Research Institute, Reno, Nevada and Kevin Dick and Daniel Inouye, Washoe County Health District, Reno, Nevada provides some research, data and discussion on this problem.

Comments

• ShashiShashi Posts: 596 admin
    Thanks Don for sharing this article.
    Hi @rohan9602, @HentieF, @paulwuebben ,
    Share your inputs on the solutions provided by @dwcollins1960 and @jamesburbridge
  • rohan9602rohan9602 Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    Hi @dwcollins1960
    I do not have much to say specifically about small scale usage but I generally find the renewable energy generation data are very misleading. Solar farm does not require investment only in panels but it also requires a significant investments in Land, batteries, maintenance of batteries, solar energy is available only for 33% of times.
    1) Land: Solar farm generally is established near populated area to supply electricity. Now land near populated area is more valuable. If the farm is established further; a significant amount of electricity will be lost in transmission. 2)Batteries: Solar energy is available only 8 hours (roughly) of out 24. So even if every day is a sunny day in order to supply 10KW of power; the batteries needs to be of 22KW (20kw + 10% loss). The Panels needs to be of 33KW -10% loss = 30kw= 10 kw to supply +20kw to recharge batteries. The cost of batteries + solar panels + prorated cost of batteries (lasts 10-12 years) most likely will never be able to sustain in our capitalist world. Similar points applies to the wind energy. Windmill itself costs so much; there are a few examples where an entire wind farm was shut to lower the losses because it wasn't generation enough to pay for its maintenance.
    I have been working on a multi-point low-cost wave energy converter since April of 2014. I have obtained 2 Patents. Water is about 784 times denser than air = given windmill can be replaced with 784 times smaller wave energy converter. Most wave energy converters have one point energy generation in the center and generates when entire floating body moves upward. Well in the ocean water moves at an angle side ways so most of the wave movements are not harvested. With multi-point the floating tri-angle frame can harvest energy in a rocky boat like movements, side to side sliding movements too. 75% of electricity consumption around the world is within 100 miles of a coastline due to population density and industrial zones. The way we judge any grant proposal is by how well its written; every points are included or not. instead we need to start judging based on the core solutions and discuss them with the applicant before making any judgements. I have had 3 NSF grant proposals rejected and have since improved to overcome all the objections but i had to keep applying every year to have my solution approved or disapproved. We need to move faster. A little video communication in this fast world will brings solutions much faster. The examiners should present issues with the mechanism and give a week of time to come up with potential solutions or something. We need to start interacting with humans using the internet.