This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Introductions

ShashiShashi Posts: 596 admin
Hi Everyone! Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about yourself and your projects.

My name is Shashi, I'll be managing the online community for this Prize Design. I am based in India and have a background in HR and Administration.

If you have any community-related questions or need help, please don't hesitate to message here or email me at shashi.rai@xprize.org.

Comments

• jordangialijordangiali Posts: 43 XPRIZE
    Hi everyone! I'm Jordan, and I’ll be supporting the research and prize design efforts.

Prior to joining XPRIZE, I worked in the economic consulting industry, conducting research on the U.S. economy. I’m excited to learn from you about frontline health!

Please feel free to message me here, or by email at jordan.giali@xprize.org
  • TerryMulliganTerryMulligan Posts: 38 XPRIZE
    Hello XPRIZE Frontline Health Online Expert Community!

I’m Terry, a Product Manager with XPRIZE’s Impact & Design Team. During my time at XPRIZE, I have managed the prize design teams for the Rainforest XPRIZE, launched in 2019, XPRIZE Clean Air, and XPRIZE Infinity Water.

Prior to XPRIZE, I worked in international development, technology management consulting, and corporate strategy. I'm passionate about ending global poverty, and have led efforts in education, global health, and social enterprise development in Africa and South America.

I am eager to share and learn how a prize can help address this global problem!
  • HeatherSuttonHeatherSutton Posts: 77 XPRIZE
    Hello Tribe,
    I'm Heather and I serve on XPRIZE's Impact and Design Team as a Project Manager. I'm delighted to be a part of the team that is designing the Frontline Health XPRIZE.

Most recently, I worked on the design of the Future of Work XPRIZE. I have over 7 years of experience managing complex projects and programs and I love applying that experience daily to these world-changing XPRIZE designs.

Thank you in advance for being a part of our community and for your contributions. We truly could not do this without you!
  • SevagKechichianSevagKechichian Posts: 13 XPRIZE
    Hi all,
    i'm one of the team members for this prize design, mainly doing research and analysis, and drafting. Having done a couple of these for XPRIZE, i know that this particular one will be a ride! I'm looking forward to learning from you all and to designing a competition that can have a meaningful and significant impact.

Thank you for joining and contributing! We appreciate any and all thoughts and ideas.
  • ShabbirShabbir Posts: 2
    Hi Guys
    I am Dr. Shabbir from Taipei Medical University. Seems I'm the first outsider here not from XPrize. First of all, I would like to express my thanks to Shashi Rai for inviting me to this timely and needful initiative.
    my major research interests are Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, Wearable devices, Long term care, Telemedicine, mHealth,
    Translational Medicine, Big data analysis and visualization, and has published about 70 SCI papers in the last 5 years. I want to empower care providers and improve patient engagement.
    In this COVID-19 era Telemedicine is a best alternative and needful tool. Will be happy to contribute to my best knowledge.
  • ShashiShashi Posts: 596 admin
    @Shabbir - Welcome Dr. Shabbir! We're excited to have you join our online community of experts.

Thank you for introducing yourself. You have an amazing background and will look forward to your contributions.

We launched this community last week. There are couple of other experts who have joined the community, but have not yet introduce themselves.

At present we are seeking advice from experts on the key issues:
    • How is digital technology (especially artificial intelligence) currently being used to increase access to basic health care in developing countries.
    • What are the major barriers to achieving universal health coverage (UHC) in low and middle-income countries?
    We would love to hear your thoughts on this latest discussion topic here.

In case, if you know or have come across any interesting reports, articles or documentaries etc. that throws light on how healthcare works in low and middle-income countries or how technology is used to overcome healthcare barriers, please share it with us here.
    Thank you.
  • RahulJindalRahulJindal Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Hello everyone,

My name is Rahul M. Jindal and I am a Professor of Surgery and Global Health. I have several Global Health/Surgery initiatives in India, Guyana, Suriname and Botswana. I am interested in expanding surgical "unmet" need work in Gujarat, India. My Wiki profile is here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahul_M._Jindal

The topic "What are the major barriers to achieving universal health coverage (UHC) in low and middle-income countries?" fits in with my line of inquiry.
    @RahulJindal - Welcome Dr. Rahul! We're excited to have you join our online community of experts.

Thank you for introducing yourself. I went through your wiki page, you have a great background and perfect for our community. We look forward to your contributions.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on the topic major barriers to achieving universal health coverage (UHC) in low and middle-income countries here

It would be nice to have important resources such as reports, articles or documentaries etc. that throws light on how healthcare works in low and middle-income countries or how technology is used to overcome healthcare barriers. In case you have come across any such resources, please share it with us here
    Thank you.
  • Lizzy_2020Lizzy_2020 Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, I am Dr Elizabeth Joseph-Shehu from National Open University of Nigeria. I am a professional Nurse and my research focus is on health promotion. I have developed an app that can enhance health promotion and health status of an individual. It is my desire to have everyone have access to health information and quality health care. Am currently working on a project that will enhance health promotion and health access.
    I am happy to be part of this community and I contribute to my best knowledge.
    @Shabbir @RahulJindal @Lizzy_2020 Welcome and thank you!!
  • LeeSteinLeeStein Posts: 2
    hello all
    my name is Lee Stein. I am chairman of SPIRAL.Health we focus on using digital medtech to service rural communities in the usa. we have plans to extend internationally
  • LeeSteinLeeStein Posts: 2
    Lee Stein here. i am also an XPrize Trustee
    @LeeStein - Welcome Mr. Lee! We're excited to have you join our online community of experts.
    As SPIRAL Health focuses on digital medtech, It would be great to hear your thoughts on challenges in vaccine distribution in low- and middle-income countries and how technology can solve these challenges here. Thanks.
  • drdavewinklerdrdavewinkler Posts: 1
    Hi I'm Dave Winkler. I'm a Professor of Chemistry & Physics and La Trobe University, Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at Monash University, a Visiting Professor of Pharmacy at the University of Nottingham, and a Fellow in evolutionary robotics at CSIRO Data61. I use computational methods to study the interaction of molecules and complex materials. My expertise is in the application of AI, machine learning, and evolutionary computational methods to design bespoke materials with novel properties. I also design small molecules and peptides as drug leads (current project on COVID-19 drugs), novel 2D hybrid materials for energy applications, biomaterials and coatings to control immunity and cell behaviour, and advanced informatics methods for surface science.
    @drdavewinkler - Thank you Dr. David for Introducing yourself. Your professional experience is great. We look forward to your contribution in the community.
  • kenjisuzukikenjisuzuki Posts: 5
    Hello, I'm Kenji Suzuki, Ph.D. from Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan. I'm Professor and Director of Artificial Intelligence in Biomedical Imaging Lab here. Before joined here, I worked at Illinois Institute of Technology and Univ. of Chicago in the U.S. I have been actively studying on machine learning and artificial intelligence in biomedical imaging since 1991. I developed special machine leaning models that can learn images directly, commercialized several AI-aided diagnostic systems and medical imaging systems based on them via FDA approval in the past 15 years or so. Now people call a filed that deals with similar machine-learning models deep learning. I have some experience and knowledge on the development of medical imaging AI.
    @kenjisuzuki - Thanks Kenji for introducing yourself. Your experience in AI and ML is awesome. We would love to know how AI / ML is currently being leveraged to increase access to basic health care in low- and middle-income countries. You can share your thoughts here. Thanks.
  • jonc101jonc101 Posts: 3
    Jonathan H. Chen MD, PhD leads a research group that seeks to empower individuals with the collective experience of the many, combining human and artificial intelligence approaches that will deliver better care than either can do alone. Dr. Chen continues to practice medicine for the concrete rewards of caring for real people and to inspire this research focused on discovering and distributing the latent knowledge embedded in clinical data.

Chen co-founded a company to translate his Computer Science graduate work into an expert system for organic chemistry, with applications from drug discovery to an education tool for students around the world. To gain perspective tackling societal problems in health care, he completed training in Internal Medicine and a Research Fellowship in Medical Informatics. He has published influential work in the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, JAMA Internal Medicine, Bioinformatics, Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, and the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Associations, with awards and recognition from the NIH Big Data 2 Knowledge initiative, National Library of Medicine, American Medical Informatics Association, Yearbook of Medical Informatics, and American College of Physicians, among others.

In the face of ever escalating complexity in medicine, informatics solutions are the only credible approach to systematically address challenges in healthcare. Tapping into real-world clinical data like electronic medical records with machine learning and data analytics will reveal the community's latent knowledge in a reproducible form. By delivering this back to clinicians, patients, and healthcare systems as clinical decision support, we aim to uniquely close the loop on a continuously learning health system.
  • bngejanebngejane Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Hello XPRIZE world
    bk here, I am a CEO and co-founder of Peniel Impact Investment, working at the intersection of impact finance and exponential technology, I am here to learn.
    @bngejane - Welcome Mr. Ngejane! We're excited to have you join our online community of experts.

At present we are discussing the following topics:
    Major constraints in regard to frontline health systems in LMICs and how technology can be leveraged to overcome these constraints
    Challenges in vaccine distribution in LMICs and how technology can solve these challenges.
    You can go through the existing comments and if you have any thoughts on these topics, please share it with us.
    We look forward to you contribution. Thanks.
  • synhodosynhodo Posts: 2
    Thanks for the invitation. I am a director of the Laboratory of Medical Imaging and Computation at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. lmic.mgh.harvard.edu. Looking forward to working with you.
  • ajchenxajchenx Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Exciting to join this community to discuss frontline healthcare systems in LMICs. I'm based in Silicon Valley, California, focused on designing learning health systems to help reduce healthcare disparities in developing countries. Exploring new solutions for covid-19, epilepsy, doctor referral, patient education, etc. The key is to come up with sustainable and scalable technology solutions through feeling their pains on the ground. Looking forward to discussion.
  • RiikaRiika Posts: 1
    Hello, and thanks for the invitation. I'm Dr. Riika Makinen from Satakunta University of Applied Sciences, Finland. I work as a senior researcher in the department of Technology: Environment and Energy. At the moment I work with indoor hygiene, which basically means infection prevention and control with built environment, e.g. antimicrobial surfaces, HVAC, microbiological quality of drinking water, decent planning and construction, etc. The idea is to break the infection chain, and also to tackle the global issues of antibiotic resistant microbes and global pandemics. So, quite timely with the present situation of SARS-CoV-2. ;) Nice to be part of the XPRIZE community!
    @synhodo - Thank you Dr. Synho for introducing yourself. We look forward to your contributions in various discussion topics.

@ajchenx and @Riika - Welcome AJ and Riika! We're excited to have you join our online community of experts. Both of you have great experience and very well aligned with the objective of this project.

At present we are seeking advice from experts on the key issues of frontline health systems:
    Major constraints in regard to frontline health systems in LMICs and how technology can be leveraged to overcome these constraints
    Challenges in vaccine distribution in LMICs and how technology can solve these challenges.
    We would love to hear your thoughts on these latest discussion topics.
  • ajchenxajchenx Posts: 15 ✭✭
    @Shashi thanks. I'll comment on the major constraints issue, where we are working on AI intervention.
    @LeeStein @drdavewinkler @kenjisuzuki @jonc101 @bngejane @synhodo @ajchenx @Riika Welcome, and thank you for joining our community! We are very excited to have you. As Shashi mentioned, we'd love for you to review and add to the key discussions currently taking place.
  • rajpandarajpanda Posts: 2
    Hello all, I am Raj Panda, MD, MPH and a research prof @ the public health foundation of India . my area of interest is health system research, behavioral science and using implementation science for generating evidence for impact. I lead several projects using different designs for evaluation starting from simple pre post studies to more complicated RCTs.
    I also train large number of health care workers including providers as well as front line health workers I also worked in policy research and helped in the technical design of the UHC policy document in India.Current work revolves around evaluation of the use of tele-mentoring platforms for building skills in providers and front line health workers (CHWs) in different domains. I am also testing the use of mobile health for behavioral change in patients in primary health care
    Excited to be part of this group to learn and share my experiences in examining how technology can be integrated into primary care
    @rajpanda - Welcome Dr. Panda. It's great to have you in our community of experts. You background and experience are awesome.
    Given your experience in training health care workers - it would be nice to know the challenges you faced initially while approaching / training local health workers in low and middle income countries. Did you'll provide any incentives to them - if yes; what were these incentives.

Also, as your research interest has been health systems, what are the biggest constraints when considering frontline health systems in low- and middle-income countries? what aspects of these systems require the most work and how advances in AI can benefit these systems. We would love to hear thoughts on it here. Many thanks.
  • anaconnavanaconnav Posts: 3
    edited July 2020
    Hello everyone. Thank you @Shashi for inviting me to join the Frontline Health forum. Please let me know what can I do to help design a project competition for improved access to frontline healthcare systems.

I am a Doctor of Science candidate in a regional food and development research center in Hermosillo, México. So, we are located about four hours away from Tucson, AZ, by car. I study the societal domain of the nutrition process, in other words, I focus on what happens above the skin. In addition to analyzing the spatial access to food markets in the city of Hermosillo, we asked a group of women about their decision-making processes in relation to their families' nutritional needs. My evaluation methods are basically qualitative and I am currently in transition towards systems science research.