This community is in archive. Visit community.xprize.org for the current XPRIZE Community.

Introductions

NickAzerNickAzer Posts: 219 ✭✭
Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community here. Tell us a bit about yourself, your projects and your relation to XPRIZE.

Comments

• NickAzerNickAzer Posts: 219 ✭✭
    I'm Nick Azer, your online community manager. I live in Portland, Oregon in the US. My background is in social media and blogging; for the last 6 years, I have been the social media manager and content curator on the Google Lunar XPRIZE.

If you have any community-related questions or need help, feel free to send me a message here anytime or email me at nick.azer@xprize.org! I'm here to help, and I'm excited about this fascinating Amazon Rainforest project.
  • TerryMulliganTerryMulligan Posts: 38 XPRIZE
    Greetings everyone and welcome! I’m Terry Mulligan, product manager for the Amazon Rainforest Prize Design at the XPRIZE Foundation in Los Angeles, California. My background is in international development and management consulting.

I'm very excited about our project and eager to continue learning and engaging with you all as we design this prize to help save the Amazon Rainforest! Please feel free to reach out and introduce yourself and let me know how I can help.
  • JanetleeJanetlee Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Nice to meet you! I'm Janet Sellers, Forests Indigenous Knowledge Research Group
    for the Future of Forests proposal. I am an artist and writer. I make public art, and biggest painting was a 500' mural in Los Angeles, Echo Park area; I live in the Colorado Rockies forests, and write about forest ecology, ethno-ecology and High altitude organic gardening / nature farming no-till methods and soil preservation/enrichment. I run the local community garden and give talks on living in and protecting the high altitude forest habitat.
  • yoedkenettyoedkenett Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Hello! I'm Yoed Kenett, lead analyst for the Amazon Rainforest Prize Design. I am a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania,

My research focuses on creativity and thinking. In parallel, for the past 15 years I have been working as a consultant at the intersection between academia and industry. I'm extremely excited to be a part of this project!
  • SandraSandra Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Hello, I am Sandra Rodríguez a native Colombian (a country with 5% of the Amazon basin that covers 30% of the country itself). I am a professor at Universidad Autonoma de Chihuahua in Mexico my expertise is in social values of ecosystem services and natural resources management. I have few papers on timber markets and forest governance in Colombia that I can share with you if you will. I am excited about this project, since I believe research is disconnected from really and from people´s needs. Thanks for the invite.
    @AtossaSoltani It's great to have you here, Atossa! Your experience will be invaluable. Amazon Watch and Sacred Headwaters are both awesome organizations! Our latest question for discussion can be found here on deterrents - any input or ideas you might have there would be great!
  • CarltonOwenCarltonOwen Posts: 1
    I'm Carlton Owen, President & CEO of the U.S. Endowment for Forestry and Communities, the largest public charity in North America dedicated solely to keeping forests as forests and advancing family-wage jobs in forest-rich rural communities.

In the 90's I took part in an effort for my former employer, Champion International Corporation, to expand our long-running southern Brazilian operations to the north. We purchased 1 million acres of cerrado/rainforest in Amapa State. I then led what at the time was the largest privately-funded Rapid Ecological Assessment of the entire landbase. While the laws at the time would have required that we set aside 20% of each purchased tract as natural habitat, through our assessment and commitment, and with support by Dr. Tom Lovejoy who knew the President of Brazil, we were granted special license to take another approach. That work led to 66% of the entire landbase being protected but in LARGE intact blocks rather than the ineffective patchwork that would have resulted under the law. Not only did this yield far greater gains to natural conservation/diversity, but it surprisingly resulted in a much more economically viable project. There are market-based approaches that can have a great benefit to ecological outcomes.
    Thank you for the insight, @CarltonOwen, that's a really interesting example!
  • TerryMulliganTerryMulligan Posts: 38 XPRIZE
    Hi Atossa and Carlton, it's great to have you both in the community!

@AtossaSoltani - thanks for sharing about your work with Amazon Watch and the Amazon Sacred Headwaters Initiative. Our team would love to connect with you to learn more about both further in depth. You should have an invitation in your inbox now.

@CarltonOwen thanks for sharing about your work with Champion International. Our discussion last month spurred on lots of research into supply chain traceability, and recently led to an interview with Maersk. Have you heard any updates or recent news on the TradeLens Blockchain Shipping Solution?

Also, if you would like to weigh in on our most recent discussion around the challenges to monitoring and deterring illegal logging you can click on the LINK HERE.

Again, we’re thrilled to have you both in the community and look forward to learning more from both of you!
  • AjanaAjana Posts: 1 ✭✭

I am Anja Puhlmann, focused together with my team of dedicated international experts of Secret Amazonia in our mission as Guardian Angels of the Forest, protecting the Amazon Rainforest.

Vice President Family Office Gloria Starr Kins Group in New York, for Europe & Switzerland. Founder and Professor of the innovative Healthcare Training Center in Switzerland. Supervising international teams and companies, with solution & resource oriented steps. In charge of international relations for Secret Amazonia, Brazil.

I Anja love your dedication together with Peter Diamandis and your team – to find solutions for the challenges that we are currently facing in this our world, that we all share, here with the focus to protect the Amazon Rainforest. I believe in the creative power of synergies in this field. Thank you for your passion and innovative engagement. Good to connect.

Our current focus at Secret Amazonia: Creating tasty, healthy products in collaboration with local partners in Brazil. The Food & beverages products using scientific research of plants and fruits from the Amazone are ready to go, as we speak.

During our research we patented a formula in cooperation with the University Federal of Amazonas ( UFAM), which when added to premium coffee, produces a very pure and high quality product with antioxidant, regenerative and energizing natural properties. With the patented formula H2©, the coffee is roasted and mixed with the H2©. Health the main focus. All products are produced and harvested in a sustainable manner using local sources, materials and products. Other products are getting prepared, like clothes made out of the pineapple fibers from the leaves, as additional product from the juices.

Our mission:
    With the Fair Trade organization of Secret Amazonia, the focus is to equally divide all earnings in re-investing substantial parts of all generated profits into the community development projects.

Protecting the Amazon Rainforest through reforestation and with building a School for the native medicinal tribes in the Amazonas to preserve and transfer Cultural Heritage and the high expertize of the medicinal plants for the young generations and in cooperation with international scientists. Green light has been provided already.

Further projects:
    Providing film content – with international film directors about the Amazonian Rainforest, with sales of the content to Netflix between others. More in the pipeline.

Short film content:
    Flying Rivers in the Amazonian Rainforest, film from Jaime Ocampo Rangel, founder of Secret Amazonia in Brazil with an urgent message to the world, why it is important to take care now for Amazonian Rainforest and its diversity. Time matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdlvurJRPI

Looking much forward to connect together. Best Anja
  • akbakb Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone

I'm Adam Bostock and I have a keen interest in science, technology, innovation, the environment and visions for the future.

I'm a fan of XPRIZEs and have participated in the design of a few (energy and forests, so far).
    It's great to have you here, Anja and Adam! @akb @Ajana We have a couple threads for discussion here we'd love your input on (I see Adam you've already commented on one, thank you! That AI to detect changes in canopy sounds awesome)
  • pedlowmapedlowma Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Greetings from Brazil! I am Marcos Pedlowski and I am researcher involved with studies on land use and land cover change in the Brazilian Amazon since 1991. I was the assistant director of a agroforestry project in the western Brazilian Amazon state of Rondônia and I have learned many of the actual obstacles for implementing more sound ways of using the vast biodiversity resources that exist in the Amazon. I will be glad to share my scientific and applied experiences with this group.
  • Kathleen_HamrickKathleen_Hamrick Posts: 66 XPRIZE
    Hi everyone! I’m Kathleen Hamrick, Project Manager for the Amazon Rainforest Prize Design at the XPRIZE Foundation, in Los Angeles, CA. My background is a mix of project management, technical writing, and market research. Prior to work with XPRIZE, I assisted with TechCrunch’s expansion of the Startup Battlefield into emerging technology ecosystems around the world.

Looking forward to learning and engaging with all of you as we design this prize! It is great to see the incredible discussion that has already begun within this community. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or ideas that you may have. My email is kathleen.hamrick@xprize.org.

@Dianachaplin - thanks for sharing about your work with One Tree Planted! Our team would love to connect with you to learn more about your work. You should have an invitation in your inbox now.
    We have some interesting new discussions for input that we've posted in Key Issues @Ajana @pedlowma @CarltonOwen @AtossaSoltani @Sandra @Janetlee - feel free to jump into those conversations and post any links, thoughts, experiences you might have with those subjects! And let us know if you have any questions :smile:
  • AdrixramosAdrixramos Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Hi everyone! I am Adriana Ramos, I work at the brazilian NGO Instituto Socioambiental (www.socioambeintal.org) and have been engaged in projects and initiatives in the Amazon for the last 30 years.
    Looking forward to contributing with you!
    Welcome, Adriana! @Adrixramos It's exciting to see your organization involved; we're definitely thrilled to have Brazilian-local NGOs and experts join the discussion! You can find our latest topics here, and we'll be posting more this week. Look forward to discussing these challenges with you!
    Welcome, @Adrixramos! As @NickAzer has emphasized, we are excited to have you join our community of experts and we look forward to continuing to discuss solutions to challenges faced by the Amazon Rainforest with you.
    edited April 2019
    I'm looking at using microbiological growth especially fungi and mycological studies for regenerating soil and a bio diverse foundation for regenerating forested areas particularly where I live here in Colorado in El Paso County we've had some interest in it and I'm continuing that interest. On April 25th we will have another meeting to discuss how to use these for soil restoration and thereby facilitate needed biodiversity that will help the burned areas to flourish and recreate forests with great biodiversity, which the forests need to thrive. Forest need much more than trees to be a forest and the sources for biodiversity is one of the things that I think we can study for a great advantage to Optimum outcomes in the quickest way possible.
    Thank you, @Janetlee! We have a brand new discussion now about agriculture alternatives, like Acai berry harvesting; click here to join the discussion! @pedlowma @Ajana @AtossaSoltani @Sandra @CarltonOwen Any examples of similarly beneficial alternatives, or experiences/thoughts you've had would be helpful! Thank you for joining us here; we look forward to seeing more of your thoughts and ideas as we progress in the prize design.
    I have been researching and using the microbiological restoration techniques and I have some information that some of our forest areas are using with great success and some with great interest but haven't tried it yet. I'm not entirely sure how I would bring the information to you if it is in a document form this appears to be a chat. What I have is only one or two pages at the moment and we will be working on doing more as I talked with the various Forest groups and coalitions here.
    Hi @Janetlee that's exciting! We'd enjoy learning more about your work using microbiological restoration techniques. You should have a direct message in your inbox now regarding this!
  • MarianoMariano Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I'm Mariano Cenamo, Forest Engineer (ESALQ/USP) and a social entrepreneur, founder and currently business development director for IDESAM and NGO based in Manaus, capital of Amazonas State in Brazil.

I've been living and working in the Amazon for the last 15 years, mainly focused in climate finance, economic approaches for forest conservation and forest carbon markets, through a wide range of projects, programs and policies to provide creative solutions to reduce deforestation and promote sustainable development for communities and farmers.

In order to sustain long-term results in reducing emissions from deforestation it is imperative to create new economic land use and forest based alternatives for local communities, indigenous peoples, and smallholders/farmers. I believe that if appropriate finance, incubation and acceleration support, market development fair are put in place it is possible to create a new generation of sustainable businesses and "startups" that will pave the way for a low-emissions and forest based economy in the Amazon.

I am very excited to see this Amazon XPrize competition taking shape!
    edited April 2019
    Welcome, @Moriano! We are very happy to have you as part of our online community and look forward to seeing your thoughts on challenges faced in the Amazon Rainforest. Given your experience and interest in sustainable development and new economic models for local communities, we'd love to hear your thoughts about how a greater understanding of rainforest biodiversity can be used to create new bio-economies. You can view the full discussion thread here: https://community.xprize.org/amazon-rainforest/discussion/199/what-are-some-examples-of-successful-biobased-economy-projects-in-the-amazon#latest